Small craft advisory lifted | Environment
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - The Army Corps of Engineers has lifted the small craft advisory on the Arkansas River.
Before setting out in a pleasure craft, always check flow conditions. Corps officials urge boaters to always use caution on the river. Wear a life jacket, and never operate a boat while intoxicated. Give commercial towboats an extra wide berth for safety's sake. They are heavier than freight trains and not nearly as maneuverable as pleasure boats. It can take a towboat more than a half mile to stop.
Advisories are issued when flows reach 70,000 cubic feet per second. Currents become swifter and stronger, and large debris is carried downstream.
For daily river information, visit the Corps' Little Rock District Web site at www.swl.usace.army.mil and click the water management button.
Upcoming Events near Conway
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Russellville, Pope County among the worst hit by snow and ice in Arkansas
- Road condition, power outage, and accident updates throughout the area
- Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield to give away Christmas meals
- State Police: Stay away from I-30 between I-40, I-440
- Pope County man dies after tree falls on camper