Keep bugs away this holiday | Health
This time of year is bustling with holiday travels and families are preparing to gather for the season.
The unfortunate reality is that some of our favorite things can lead to the spreading of bedbugs this holiday season. Intense travel, like that during the holidays, allows the pests to spread from one location to another.
Although they are found in beds, many neglect to think of other places bedbugs can be found. Sitting on a plane or in the seats waiting at your terminal before boarding can be a prime time for bedbugs to latch on from the previous sitter. They won’t begin biting until you’re settled such as on the long flight or once you’ve reached your bed that night (whether it be at home, a hotel or family’s house).
Many families take in a holiday movie. Unfortunately movie theaters have become a place where bedbugs spread as well. Even a stack of coats at holiday parties can spread bedbugs. Please find the tips below from Terminix, the nation’s largest pest control company, which can help curb the spread of bedbugs this holiday season.
- Try getting to movie theaters early to brush seats and check between seats and armrests for signs of infestation.
- Check plane seats for sign of infestation.
- If you feel that you have been through an area where many pass through, such as airports, wash travel clothing in warm water and run through a warm dryer cycle once you reach your home.
- Be mindful of strong, musty odors permeating from seats, beds, clothing or linens. This odor is a sign of infestation.
- Hang all clothing, including winter coats, to prevent spreading from laying clothing on furniture or beds. Party hosts, the bed of blankets could be unsanitary for both you and your guests. Instead hang them in a coat closet.
- Upon returning home, leave suitcases in the basement or garage until you have had the opportunity to inspect for bedbugs. Vacuum luggage thoroughly.
- If you suspect bedbugs to be in your home, have it inspected by a professional. Do-it-yourself remedies traditionally worsen the situation. Terminix offers free, no-obligation home inspections.
Upcoming Events near Conway
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- UPDATE:Unit remains offline after early morning fire at Nuclear One plant in Russellville
- Russellville, Pope County among the worst hit by snow and ice in Arkansas
- Road condition, power outage, and accident updates throughout the area
- Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield to give away Christmas meals
- State Police: Stay away from I-30 between I-40, I-440