Arkansas Scholarship Lottery boasts 2012 gains | News
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Despite high gas prices over the past year the Arkansas Lottery saw solid returns at the end of the fiscal year.
The Arkansas Lottery Commission experienced a $10 million increase in sales this year from last.
The lottery generated $97.5 million in scholarships this year, upping the total fund to $274.5 million since 2010. Lottery Scholarship Director, Bishop Woosley, is excited about the return and says the increase funds will only help Arkansas Scholars in the future.
"It hits home with me because I'm still paying my student loans you know almost 20 years later. So for those students getting these loans, hopefully the impact is their not going to be paying a lot of money on student loans or paying back some debt 20 years after they get out of college like those of us who are of another generation before the lottery scholarships were available," says Woosley.
Woosley tells Today's THV the $274 million represents around 64,000 scholarships for Arkansas Students.
The Arkansas Lottery will introduce a new game in August, The Natural State Jackpot. It's a draw game solely in Arkansas and the jackpot will start at $25,000 and gain $5,000 every draw.
Upcoming Events near Conway
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- UPDATE:Unit remains offline after early morning fire at Nuclear One plant in Russellville
- Russellville, Pope County among the worst hit by snow and ice in Arkansas
- Road condition, power outage, and accident updates throughout the area
- Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield to give away Christmas meals
- State Police: Stay away from I-30 between I-40, I-440